Written by Kristine De Block – NIMH Medical Herbalist & Herb Society Member…
Hawthorn is in bloom at the moment, so it is the perfect time to harvest and use this extraordinary and beautiful medicinal herb. Medical herbalists have long used hawthorn berries, leaves and flowers for the physical and emotional heart. It truly is a tonic for today’s troubled times. If you are on any medication, please do consult a medical herbalist before trying hawthorn.
• 2 handfuls of hawthorn blossom (petals only)
• 500 ml of milk
• 3 level tablespoons of ground rice
• 1 level tablespoon of honey
• Place the hawthorn petals in a saucepan with enough water to cover them, bring to the boil and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes.
• Drain through a fine sieve and then chop the flowers very finely with a sharp knife. You can keep the liquid and have it as a tea.
• Place chopped flowers with the milk in a clean saucepan, bring to the boil and add the rice and honey.
• Continue to stir until all ingredients have blended, cover and allow to simmer for about 25 minutes until the pudding is the consistency of porridge.
• Served hot, it is delicious on its own or with waffles, pancakes and cream!